Toruń has been famous for its honey-cakes and gingerbread ever since the Middle Ages. The town is also an industrial centre, with factories producing chemicals, textiles, machinery, tools, armatures, and furniture.
As well as many Renaissance and Baroque buildings, the old city still has ancient gates and walls along the river. Prominent landmarks include the rebuilt town hall, containing a museum; the churches of St John, Our Lady, and St James; the ruins of a castle of the Teutonic Knights; an ethnographic museum housed in a former arsenal; the Pomeranian Theatre; and fine Gothic and Baroqe townhouses. In Toruń is a university named after the Polish astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus, born in the city.
Toruń was chartered in 1333. The treaties of 1411 and 1466 signed in the city placed the Teutonic Knightsunder Polish rule. In 1595 and 1645 religious synods were held in the city.